Saturday, November 20, 2010

Let's Take Them to Our Leader's Son

This post was first published on ROOTSS on Friday, 2nd February 2007

When I was much younger, I had dreams of being in the music and entertainment industry as a Disc Jockey. Well, so much for dreams. The closest I have gotten (and will probably ever get) is as the MC at my children's birthday parties.

Wishing to be a DJ meant that I would listen intently to the lyrics of songs. One particular song that never fails to bring tears to my eyes is "Take Me to Your Leader" by Newsboys.

In a typical science fiction movie about aliens and outer space, there will be a scene when the flying saucer finally lands on Planet Earth. Invariably, out steps a creature in a spacesuit who points a laser gun thingy at the inhabitants and says, "Take me to your leader".

It was with this concept in mind that Australian Christian band Newsboys, entitled this song. The climax, as it were, comes at the end where we are asked to "take them to our Leader's Son."


The song starts off with a lady who is caught for shoplifting. She is seen by a judge, whose wife had walked out on him, so he takes it out on her by sentencing her to jail.

In jail, she is ministered to by the chaplain. Touched by his care and concern, she wants to know what makes him so different from other people.

The song then goes on to talk about a man who is worried about his health, and resorts to taking vitamin supplements and aroma-therapy. Yet he finds no solution to his anxieties, but notices that his neighbours seem to have a sense of tranquility. One day, out of curiosity, he decides to ask his neighbour's son what his secret is.

The song ends by pointing us to what is special about the chaplain and the neighbour, and the answer is none other than our "Leader's Son", Jesus Christ!

When I hear this song, it reminds me that we are to be witnesses (Acts 1:8) and ambassadors (2 Cor 5:20) for Jesus Christ. There must be an "attractiveness" about us. While others fret and worry about their career or children's education, we display a sense of peace and serenity. While others take revenge on those who have wronged them (like Pastor KL mentioned in his sermon about avenging or "bao chou" being ingrained in Oriental cultures), we choose to forgive and extend unconditional love. This will cause our pre-believing friends and relatives to wonder why we are so different, and these then become great opportunities for us to point them to Christ.

So let's take 'em to our Leader's Son! Amen?



Isabelle is a belly dancer with a kleptomaniac's restraint
tried stealing Helena's hand basket, made a fast getaway, but McQueen she ain't
at the courtroom Joshua judges her ruthlessly on account of Ruth walking out on him
in the Big House Isabelle is a-telling all to the chaplain who's become her friend

she says: I don't know why you care I don't know what's out there
I don't know where or how just take me to your leader now take me to your leader now

Justin is adjustin' to the odor from Theodore's Evergreen Incense
but aroma therapy don't make him any younger than Oliver's All Liver Supplements
his late mate Merrilee merrily said immortality can't be bought in a jar
this just in: Justin's had enough of cure-alls,

gonna quiz the neighbor kid with the fish on his car

he says: I don't know why you care I don't know what's out there
I don't know how it's done just take me to your leader, son
I see you've got the joy I've seen you live it, boy
It's real, it's free, it's fun, so take me to your leader, son

They don't know why we care They don't know what's out there
They don't know how it's done Let's Take `Em To Our Leader's Son
They see we've got the joy They see us live it, oi
it's real, it's free, it's fun, Let's Take `Em To Our Leader's Son

No comments:

Post a Comment